Sunday, January 30, 2011

Brick by Brick

Here is what I have been working on lately:

Two Raindrop Kinetic Mobile Sculptures


This first one was an attempt to create custom color paintings which were not a good match to my customer's request. 

But, I like it so much, I went ahead and created this mobile anyway.  The colors on this one had too many burnt oranges and the green was too bright.  I like it lots!





And another close up of the same mobile .

Here is a link to the youtube video of this mobile:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7ssgZkgZuY



Here is the 2nd one which more closely matches my customer's request.  More brick, hunter green and eggplant.  I hope they like it! The components are about 3 inches long and two inches wide.  The mobile is 33 inches wide by 22 inches tall from top of hook to bottom component. 


Close ups of the individual components.  Earthy tones, my husband loves it!  Here is a link to the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfKpcgWzVQk




And another close up.  I really enjoy putting violets next to burnt orange.  There is something just magical about it.  When you can get them to merge without getting muddy or graying out is awesome. 
 Kinetic Mobile Sculpture - Jelly Bean Wave


The colors of this mobile reminded me of Jelly Belly Jelly Beans. 
 The four colors were individual watercolor washes.  I permanently adhere my watercolor paintings to aluminum and then seal it with a polyurethane.  This process creates a very durable mobile which should last for many many years.
 Here is a link to this mobile in motion:


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-cmPDTmKcQ

I just love Art Saturday.  My watercolor instructor, Marina Cavette, is guiding me through this very fun brick process.  She says it is tedious.... but I say no!  I enjoy detail, the whole process of it! This painting is a work in progress and measures 9 inches tall.  If you look closely, you can see the pencil lines for the top of the chimney.

 Thanks again to the Mississippi Arts Commission who approved my Mini-Grant so I can learn to work with watercolors.  The look of my mobiles have improved greatly due to this grant.  This was the left over paint from the bricks above.  9" x 12"
 The next few items are my doodles.  This one will remain a painting.  The one above this will be the background to the next few paintings which will become moving picture mobiles very soon.
 These will be moving picture mobiles, something that I am very excited to complete.  But, I will have to wait until all customer orders are filled before I can move forward with the moving picture series.
I'm not so thrilled with this one.  I purchased some non-toxic watercolor paint from a school supply and I just don't like the results that much.  I think I will donate the paint to one of the local art teachers who will be able to put it to better use!
 The next four are also part of the moving picture kinetic mobile series.  I enjoy doing these doodles.  Free flowing beautiful color on paper. 


I use Winsor Newton artist grade watercolors on Arches 140 lb pads or Lanaquarelle 140 lb blocks.













Thanks for looking!

2 comments:

  1. Your kinetic sculptures are beautiful-I can
    actually see them move-I love the shadows behind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I came across your sculptures while looking for directions on how to make mobiles. Yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete